Regional Science Exchange
Updated: Monday 5 February 2018
Regional Science Exchange Program 2018
Held annually, the John Monash Science School Regional Science Exchange invites Year 10 students from regional Victorian schools with a passion for science to join us for an immersive three-week block. Participating students attend classes with JMSS students, visit Monash University for science workshops, and experience Melbourne through a range of curated excursions and field trips.
Students study Emerging Science electives in fields such as:
- Nanoscience and Nanotechnology;
- From Cells to Systems (Biomedical Science including Stem-cell technology);
- Our Dynamic Earth (Geosciences);
- From Logic to Magic (Enhanced Mathematics);
- Bioinformatics (Decoding the Genome);
- Imaging Science;
- Analytical and Spectroscopic Science;
- From Quarks to Quasars (Astrophysics); and
- Pharmaceutical Science.
Students can either bring your own device (BYOD) or work with laptops and iPads provided on loan during your visit as part of JMSS’s Multi Device Learning Program. Students will return to JMSS to present Emerging Science projects to peers, parents, teachers and academics at our annual Science Fair in October.
The Program fee is $490.00, payable by families and/or schools, and students will need to organise transport to and from Melbourne. Students will stay with JMSS families, and will have a JMSS buddy. Students will be provided with a JMSS school uniform jumper, and may borrow a myki to catch public transport during their stay.
Teacher Professional Development (2 days or 5 days) is also included as part of the experience, for regional teachers to spend time at JMSS working with team teachers, developing curriculum and presenting cutting-edge science.
Information about the program, and the application process for 2018 can be found by visiting the new Regional Science Exchange website: www.regionalscienceexchange.com.au
Dates and Resources for 2018
Applications will open on Monday 5 February 2018.
The dates for 2018 exchanges are as follows:
- Term 2, Weeks 3, 4 and 5;
- or Term 3, Weeks 2, 3 and 4.
Program fee: $490.00
Students attend JMSS for a 3-week block, then will continue their research projects at home, returning to present their posters at our annual Science Fair in October 2018.
Monash University Workshops
Challenges and Personal Outcomes
Applications for Year 10 students in 2018 are now open.
2018 Information Pack (PDF 128KB).
The program is for Year 10 students who have talent, interest, curiosity and enthusiasm in the areas of Science, Mathematics and/or Technology.
Interested students are encouraged to speak with the science teacher at their school, and work with them to develop an application for the 2018 program. Applications will need to address the following selection criteria:
- Students - describe your interest in science/maths/technology in a maximum of one A4 typed page.
- Students - describe in 200 words or less how you will use this opportunity back in your school and/or home town after the experience is over, or how it might impact your future subject or career choices.
- Students - if you are studying any VCE (Year 11 and 12 subjects) in Year 10, please list them and approximately how much work will be required during your 3-week block.
- Please consider and list any possible issues regarding being away from home for 3 weeks, eg: part-time work, sporting commitments, experience staying away from home.
- Teachers - a summary of students’ academic performance over the period Year 7- 9 with particular reference to science, mathematics and technology capabilities. Please comment on student potential and the value of the program to the student and school. Maximum of one A4 typed page.
- Geographical location of students’ homes and schools attended will also be considered.
- Indigenous students are encouraged to apply.
For more information please email firstname.lastname@example.org.